A Tiger Barn Cattery Wine Recipe

This raspberry wine recipe is easy. It clears so fast, matures so quickly and shines so brightly it's worth making as much as you can, but I'd say the same for Red Currant Wine too. They both appear similar and both are thin but unmistakably fruity.

3 Lbs of Raspberries
6 pints of water
2-3 Lbs sugar
1 lemon
1 tsp Pectolase
1/2 litre of Red Aldi Rio D'Oro grape juice
1 tsp TronOzymol
Bordeaux Yeast

You can see from the record below that I put too much sugar in without using a hydrometer. As a rule of thumb: Only add as much sugar as you need to reach an SG of say 1.080 - 1.085 and that will almost guarantee a dry ferment at 12%.

From my notes:

Sat 10th July 2010

This is one of Katriona's favourite fruits. Hopefully, it'll make a great wine, not too thin and bringing the flavour to the glass ...
I found a really nice PYO field of Raspberries a couple of days ago in Sparkford, drove over and picked my own 4.5 Lbs of Raspberries.
The game here will be to make 1.5 Gallons of Raspberry wine and then add the remaining half to the rest of the 'stuck' red currant wine, thereby gaining a gallon of dry Raspberry and Red Currant wine along with this straight Raspberry wine.
At 5 PM I was boiling water, 10 pints to be exact that I poured violently into the 2 gall fermentation bucket to rid the Raspberries of any non-fruit materials.
Before bed I mashed the raspberries to a pulp and hammered 1.5 Campden tablets into dust and added that. I watched the slight bleaching before stirring the powder in and replaced the lid.

Sun 11th July 2010

Lovely morning, sunrise, late as usual coming 'round the mountain while I added 2 teaspoons of Pectolase to last night's bucket.
I gave the cell smashing chemical over 12 hours to do it's business before sprinkling in some Bordeaux yeast + 1.5 tsp of yeast nutrient

Friday 16th July 2010

Splitting the must:
Strained the pulp out through sieve then a 2nd time through the fine muslin bag.
Strained off half a gallon to add to 1/2 the gallon of Red Currant wine with 1 Lb sugar to rebalance the sweet Red Currant wine.

For the main course I stirred in 2 1/4 Lb of sugar with my trusty acrylic ladle to bring the SG to 1.080 and funneled it into the demijohn.

======================================

1 Gallon of Raspberry wine.
SG: 1.080

19th July 2010

There's been no sign of fermentation at all for 3 days.

After 5 days, I added some sugar water activated Burgundy yeast. Nothing happened, SG still at 1.080. Is it me or is this Burgundy yeast just dead?

21st July 2010

Racked the juice from the sediment into another demijohn - Added 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and the Bordeaux yeast and within an hour it was happily bubbling away.

2nd August 2010

1st Rack
SG: 1.020 added a little sugar, more Bordeaux Yeast, 1/2 tsp of Yeast Nutrient

21st August 2010

SG: 1.020 No change ... This is just unbelievable, I don't know if it's the yeast or the temperature, but so many wines have 'stuck' this year that I'm now losing track of what fruit to pick, how many half gallons I need to save everything and how many blends I'll end up with!

======================================

Tuesday 3rd August 2010

700g / 1 1/2 Lb Rasberries
Added 3 pints of boiling water
1 crushed campden tablet

Add 1/2 teaspoon Pectolase 12 hours later

Wednesday 4th August 2010

Added
1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient
1/2 teaspoon of Bordeaux Yeast

Monnday 9th August 2010

Strained out the pulp through muslin bag.
Didn't add any sugar or water to the juice, but will use it 'straight' to save the previous batch ...
SG: 1.060

======================================

Mixed 4 pints of this new Raspberry juice with 4 pints of 16th July Raspberry juice to get a dry ferment.
I reserved the remainder of the sweet Raspberry wine for some other project.
SG: 1.040

Tuesday 10th August 2010

Fermentation restarted

Friday 14th August 2010

SG: 1.000
Topped up with reserved Raspberry wine.

25th August 2010

SG: 1.006

1st September 2010

1st Rack
Topped up with reserved Blackberry wine.
SG: 1.002

Friday 10th September 2010
It's perfectly clear, dry enough so I added a campden tablet and put the demijohn into storage for a few months to mature.
SG: 0.998

Editorial: Almost 3 months after I started, I get one gallon of finished Raspberry wine ... and a half gallon left over for something else :)

======================================

Clearing & Maturing: 1st Feb 2011

Bottled: 28th January 2011 - 6 x bottles

Drinkable: March 2011

======================================