A Tiger Barn Cattery Wine Recipe

This blackcurrant and blackberry wine recipe isn't seasonally possible without using a freezer or like me, I add too much sugar and need to blend the sweet wines with dryer wines to balance them up again by blending demijohns!

2 Lbs of Blackcurrants frozen in July or August
2 Lbs of Blackberries fresh from the hedgerow in September
Half Lb of Raisins or Litre of Aldi red grape juice.
1 gallon water
1 crushed campden tablet
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp citric acid or juice of 1 lemon
2.5 Lbs of sugar
1 tsp of yeast nutrients
Bordeaux Yeast

As with any wine making, the easiest way to mess it up is by putting too much sugar in so that the alcohol kills the yeast before it's finished fermenting. So, only add as much sugar as you need to reach an SG of say 1.080 - 1.085 and that will almost guarantee a dry ferment at 12% when the hydrometer reads dry (0.990 - 0.995).

From my notes:

Saturday 17th July 2010

Picked 3 Lb of Blackcurrants from the garden bushes.

1 PM Crushed blackcurrants
Added 1 pint of warm water and 1 campden tablet.
Added 4 Oz of raisins for tannin.

6 PM Added 2 Lb of sugar to 5 pints of spring water and boiled it.

10 PM Added
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient & 1 Bordeaux Yeast.

Sunday 18th July

Add 1 Lb of sugar dissolved in 1 pint of warm water.

Thursday 21st July

Strained into demijohn

-----------------------------

1 Gallon of Blackcurrant wine.
SG: 1.080

14th August

1st Rack
Top up with reserved Blackcurrant in fridge and a few ml of Cherry Wine w Berries to the neck.
SG: 1.060 It's way too sweet, but bubbling merrily.

21st August

SG: 1.050 It's way too sweet. I'll have to blend it with something dry if this goes wrong ... stop using so much sugar or get a hydrometer that isn't lying or broken!!! :)

25th August 2010

I decided to restart the fermentation with 1 tsp of TronOzymol yeast nutrient. If nothing improves, I can at least add it to a dry blackberry wine.

======================================

Tuesday 31st August 2010

No change in the SG - I'm now gonna have to blend 1/2 a gallon of this batch with half a gallon of Blackberry wine because they are coming into season in the hedges for miles around.

======================================

Monday 23rd August 2010

Picked 4 Lb's of Blackberries on a half day walk around the perimeter of several fields.
Crushed them gently and poured 3 pints of boiling water over them and added a crushed Campden tablet.

Tuesday 24th August 2010

1/2 tsp Pectolase

Wednesday 25th August

Added 1 3/4 Lbs of sugar
Bordeaux Yeast and TronOzymol yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp citric acid
8 Oz of raisins

30th August 2010

Strained into a demijohn

===========================

1 Gallon of Blackcurrant II & Blackberry wine.

SG of Blackcurrant II wine: 1.050
SG of Blackberry wine: 0.998

Final Mix SG: 1.022

Friday 7th September 2010

1st Rack
SG: 1.006

Sunday 26th September 2010

SG: 1.002

Saturday 9th October 2010

2nd Rack topped up with Blackberry & Elderberry and added a campden tablet.
SG: 1.000

======================================

Clearing & Maturing: 1st Feb 2011

Bottled: 1st February 2011 - 6 x bottles

Drinkable: June 2011

======================================