A Tiger Barn Cattery Wine Recipe

As you can see my damson wine recipe with berries is quite flexible. I used a pound and a half of frozen berries picked in July & August, you may have something else in the freezer. You might take a look in farm shop or supermarket frozen summer fruit sections for something similar. If you don't have enough fruit, double up on the raisins and drop half a pound somewhere else.
You can see from the record I made two gallons and added local Lamyatt honey to one so I can compare the flavour in 2013.

2.5 Lb's of Damsons
1.5 Lbs of mixed berries from the freezer (Blueberries, Blackcurrant, White Currant, Red currant, Raspberry, Strawberry, Boysenberry, Tayberry & Loganberry)
6 pints (2 x 1.7 Litres) of boiling water
8 Oz of Raisins
A crushed Campden tablet.
1 tsp Pectolase
2-3 Lbs of sugar
1 tsp of citric acid
2 tsp TronOzymol Nutrient
Harvest VR21 Yeast

My rule is of thumb is as always, only add as much sugar as you need to reach an SG of say 1.080 - 1.085 and that will almost guarantee a dry ferment at 12% when the hydrometer reads dry (0.990 - 0.995).

======================================

Wow, 2012, January and I find an excuse to hunt through the freezer for the damsons. I picked 18 Lbs of them, invited I might add from a garden near Evercreech. Now 18 Lbs of Damsons can be a lot of things, but Katriona described them as "taking up space in the freezer". Which is code for the leg of lamb doesn't fit if you have an entire container of damsons in there.
I'm obliged for the excuse to enter this year's vintners party so soon, but I'm ecstatic about finding the 'long lost bag of fruit' that I collected over all last summer. I'd been dropping a few ounces here and there of every fruit I picked into the bag to consume raw. There were so many Blueberries over the season as all mine spread out between July - September a handful here and a handful there added up to a lot. There were all the Chosen Hill Farm berries, the Sparkford Raspberries, it was a box of passionate potential.
I remember it disappeared, but in September or so when there was nothing left to add, we were always having it in porridge or bowls with liqueurs, sugar or ice-cream, covered with crumbled shortbread or balanced dribbling juices over a glob of clotted cream. I assumed it had all been eaten. I was jumping about cheerfully waving a large green plastic bag of solid fruit at Katriona ... Katriona came clean, in the dim and distant past she'd left the icebox open and it had defrosted and the fruit ruined so she hid it .. and now I've found it again it's gonna be a contender :)

Thursday 12th January 2012

Took 5.25 Lb's of Damsons from the freezer.
Poured 6 pints (2x1.7 Litres) of boiling water over them.
Waited to cool and squeezed out the stones by hand for a couple of hours
Added 3.5 Lbs of the fabled long lost bag of mixed berries from the freezer
(Blueberries, Blackcurrant, White Currant, Red currant, Raspberry, Strawberry, Boysenberry, Tayberry & Loganberry)
Mixed and squished together.
Added another 6 pints (2x1.7 Litres) of boiling water
Added a crushed Campden tablet.
Added 8 Oz of Raisins
1 tsp of citric acid
Added another 3 pints (1x1.7 Litres) of boiling water and left over night

Friday 13th January 2012

9 AM Added 1 tsp Pectolase

9 PM Added 3 tsp TronOzymol Nutrient
Added VR21 Yeast

Added 3 Lbs 8 Oz of sugar

SG: 1.070
When this is split into two Demi's one will be made up by 10 pts with sugar and the other with honey

======================================

Gallon I of Damson & Berry wine

19th January 2012
SG: 1.010

Added 4 Oz Sugar to reach SG: 1.020

======================================

4th February 2012

1st Rack
SG: 0.995
Topped up with port wine reserves

======================================

Wednesday 15th February 2012

SG: 0.995

Potential alcohol calculation
1.070 + 0.010 = 1.080
(1080 - 994) / 7.4 = 11.6%

======================================

Clearing & Maturing
1st March 2012

Bottled
1st May 2012
6 x bottles

Drinkable
November 2012 ... better in May 2013

======================================
======================================

I just have to say about Lamyatt honey: It's marvelous and sweet enough to send my teeth screaming into my brain if I start lifting teaspoons into my face - I bough it from a farm, a few jars for quite a few quid. I thought I'd give mead/metheglyn another go. I haven't tasted any of the 3 batches I made last year with Gordon's clear honey, then I thought I'd just use it as a sugar substitute ... there was a wine I fermented in 2010 that had muscavado sugar and demerara and I remember throwing orange blossom honey into musts, but this Lamyatt looks like it's really going to work with everything nicely.

Gallon II of Damson & Berry w Honey wine

19th January 2012
SG: 1.010

Added 150 gms of Lamayatt Honey to reach SG: 1.020

======================================

4th February 2012

1st Rack
SG: 0.995
Topped up with port wine reserves

======================================

Wednesday 15th February 2012

SG: 0.995

Potential alcohol calculation
1.070 + 0.010 = 1.080
(1080 - 994) / 7.4 = 11.6%

======================================

Clearing & Maturing
1st March 2012

Bottled
1st May 2012
6 x bottles

Drinkable
November 2012 ... better in May 2013

======================================